Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I had my hair colored and cut at a salon by the same person for the last year, now they want to raise price?

They say...she gained experience and is worth more. The entire year she cut my hair and I could not tell a difference between the first cut and the last.





If the salon was raising prices, well I could live with that and pay the inflation. If I go to a dentist, doctor, get my car done by a mechanic, have plumbing done by a certified plumber...they charge the rate for thier jobs. So, someone that had cut my hair should have the same rate today as tommorrow. Not counting for inflation.





Is one plumber better than another when they charge the same price in the same city?





Is getting a root canal done by a dentist costs the same as another (besides charges for rent?).





So why did my hair cut increase. She had the same experience in the first cut as she did in my last one.





I left because I saw no difference between the first day in the salon and my last day there.


It is for principles that I left. Was I right?I had my hair colored and cut at a salon by the same person for the last year, now they want to raise price?
I would tell the salon that you are changing salons because of the price increase. If enough people do this, there will be change. My hair stylist switched salons, from one that raised their prices, to one that had lowered prices. If their prices are too high, people will stop going there. He didn't make money, and he made the switch. Make yourself heard and then you may just receive a card in the mail, from your stylist, saying, ';I'm moving to a new salon.';





I shop for everything, if the price of a car is too high, I debate it. I had the sales manager tell me that the sales guy wont get his commission. I told him, ';I can't help that, I'm not going to work more so that he can get it from me, he can get it elsewhere.'; Have the same attitude, shop around, save your money for vacations, not over priced hair, cars, etc.I had my hair colored and cut at a salon by the same person for the last year, now they want to raise price?
My questions is this, did you leave after or before? If you left after, it is not the principle, you are just mad, and can't justify the rate increase in your mind. If you felt she was not doing her job, or there was no difference why didn't you leave before hand.





Maybe she didn't cut your hair differently, or do anything different because you've never requested it, and you can't just change peoples hair style without their permission. If she doesn't know you in that manner or have that freedom, what do you expect her to do? I feel she is safe, because she felt you were safe, so she was right to think that you didn't want anything to change.





If she has feels like she should change prices because of her new experience and expertise, than she is justified no matter what you think. Just like other professions go up on their prices we don't like it, but it happens anyway, what is the justification, experience, cost of living, materials etc. What ? As long as its reasonable.





She might have started off as a apprentice, and had minimal, cheaper prices just to get people in and use to her, like going to a Beauty College, they will start of with one cost, and then move up to higher prices for different styles and different experienced stylist. Also maybe the other people in the shop have already increased their prices. But if they feel she's worthy, then why don't you?





I think if you run from this person due to the fact that she changed prices because you say you didn't see any results in a year, then will you do the same thing to the next stylist you go to, especially if they just stick to the norm, because you;ve only directed them to cut your hair in one style. If you want them to change or you want to give them free hand, then you should tell them and express this each and every time you sit down in that chair. This way there is no chance for mistakes or misunderstandings.





Face it you were offended because she raised her prices, and you felt that she wasn't worth it, because she styled your hair the same everytime, but that is not on her, it on you. You obviously never requested her to do so, so she was safe in thinking you didn't want to change things. Not her fault, it's yours. Hope you have a better relationship with the new person, and you open up to them more. Good luck........





For the person that said all prices are posted, yes in most salons, but not in all salons. But still this is a different matter, especially if she told you the prices before time. And this is not the issue, it is a matter of should she change her prices, and why? Obviously other people in her shop have different prices, because if they were set, you would see them posted up.





No, big deal, if you felt she wasn't doing her job, then you should have went to another salon way before she dropped the price bomb on you.
People have the right to raise their prices all the time. If it is the salon raising the price, you can't complain. But if she is an independent person renting a chair at a salon, there are many reasons why she might have to raise her prices. Maybe the cost of her rental is going up, or she is taking classes to improve her skill.





Honestly, if you don't like it, find a new stylist.
some salons give you a choice between a junior and master stylist, so perhaps your hairdresser got promoted or finished some schooling (which she had to pay for) in order to become a master. she has every right to raise her rates, she has to pay the salon to rent her booth, has to pay for school, etc etc etc. have you never asked for a raise at your job?
find a new hairdresser that takes time to update their skills...





Mine is so awesome...I tell him I want a new cut and he has a ton of ideas....he's been doing my hair for over 15 years now...and he is expensive...his slogan is ';your hair never had it so good'; and its SO true....





His cuts cost $35. and highlights are $85 with a cut...big prices around here, but he is SO worth it....





pay the price.....find a good one....
Thats the dumbest thing I have heard of in a long time. No you were not right to leave. You left like a pouty little girl who didn't get her way.





No she did NOT have the same experience on your first cut as she did on the last cut. I am guessing that in between, there were several hundred others she cut as well. That is experience last time I know.





If they had told you the price increase was for inflation, etc., would you be ok with it?





I go to my local BoRics. The same girl has cut my hair for almost 4 years now. They raised their prices last year. Did I complain? Nope. Because I am an adult and understand about life.
If you feel she was not worth the price increase then yes, you should have left.





I think if she felt she should raise the price thats her perogative but you have every right to move on if you dont feel she's worth the increase!
Where I live that's not legal. There are the same salon rates (that must be posted) for all the operators working there.


I'd leave too if that's their policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment