Friday, May 14, 2010

Can a hair salon force staff to cut hair even if they don't want it done, at risk of loosing their job?

But he can't force people at risk of firing them...surelyCan a hair salon force staff to cut hair even if they don't want it done, at risk of loosing their job?
If it can be proved that it has only occurred to female staff, then there may be a potential to add sexual harassment/discrimination to a civil suit regarding harassment at the workplace. Without some way to quantify damages, though, it is unlikely to go far without some way to show the demeaning actions are being done exclusively to women.





The above is really a stretch and merely conjecture. My spouse listens to a talk radio show occasionally, 'Handel on the Law' - the guy is brutally honest, but he could probably give much better advice and some idea of whether it should/could reasonably be pursued in the courts.Can a hair salon force staff to cut hair even if they don't want it done, at risk of loosing their job?
No,it is against the law. If the person who is being asked to have their haircut meets the dress code, then this person forcing everyone to get the haircut needs to report it to the local Beautician licensing bureau and report this person or have them reported to the BBB. I say if this idiot tells another person they must get a haircut or else...challenge it...if this is a chain store like Cost Cutters or something similar...call the corporate office and report this person asap!
The answer to you're question is yes. You're employment is ';at will.'; Which means any reasonable request made by management that is refused can result in termination.





I know how you feel. I had crazy long hair since I was a kid. I have worked at the same gym for a couple years now. And only last year they decided to enfoce a policy stating that female lifeguards cannot have hair longer than eight inches in length.





And yeah, right now it would be kinda tough to tell them to F off and quit. So I wound up cutting my hair to keep my job.





I guess some day I will grow it back out.
no that is not legal. i just checked with someone that went to beauty school... and its NOT right. the boss cant cut it the way HE wants it. unless there was a rule book that says the hair has to be a certain way
Sure they can, it's the managers salon. .
Hi,





I am hairstyle normaly they cannot force you to cut hair... you can complaine
that could be considered borderline abuse
no, thats assault.
No he can't do that. I'm no lawyer but I'm positive he has no right to force them to cut their hair. As a side note employers have been known to disallow facial piercings or excessive makeup, as well as making employees with long hair tie it up. BUT there is no way he is allowed to force his employees to cut their hair. He could fire them but he would need a reason and she could fight it and take him to court. I don't know exactly what she'd need to do but a little research should be all it takes to find out.





** I'm going to do a little research myself and edit my answer if I find anything useful.





* http://en.allexperts.com/q/Women-s-History-3085/Forcing-women-wear-skirts.htm %26lt;-- It doesn't address hair specifically but it does give a general idea of the limits. See the artical at the bottom of their answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment